Logo
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:18 pm 

Sorry Dave! With you being a Vincent owner, that joke was probably too modern for you to understand. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm 

Hugo, you did not explain whether the noise increases with engine revs. Also is it still there when you pull the clutch lever in ? Try doing an oil change and see if there are any small particles of metal or similar in the old oil you take out.
If there is,it will indicate that something is breaking up. It may well be the slipper on the opposite side to the tensioner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Tony, are you calling me lunatic????, ok, perhaps a little bit I can be :lol:

When it appear, it's goes on a par with the revolutions, exactly at the same time, so if I go faster or I grab the clutch lever and I turn up the throttle, the noise increase on a par (I hope I'm making me understandable enough, I'm sure I'm not using the right jargon)

I replaced the oil last month, pity that I didn't check the oil on this time, I will replace it again and see if there are small particles of metal.

Thanks guys

;)
OO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:26 pm 

Hugo, No of course,I am not calling you a luatic ! But a 'tick' can drive you mad!
Your 'jargon' is correct and I understand you well. With the ticking relevant to the engine revs confirms my idea that it it is with the timing chain area.
I wish you well with your saga.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:56 am 

Ah! The dear ‘ol Vinneys:― “We’ve been together now for 50 years . . .” ♫♪♪♫ :D

It's worth pointing out that the lunatics say that the only reason why they are locked up is because they are in the minority! :roll:

Hugo: Aren’t the cam chain tensioner on the Honda rubber lined? ― might not be looking for just metal! ;)

Can you say if the noise seems to chime with engine speed or half engine speed? Might help to narrow the search ‘cos if it’s half engine speed it’ll be somewhere in the top-end.

Given that it is an engine of some age I’m wondering if there is some wear on the cam profiles and/or cam followers, also Honda tend to run their camshafts directly in the head casting, another real possibility of something going on there too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry Tony and David for the delay to reply.

David, I never saw my cam-chain tensioner, I know it is a plastic part, I saw photos online.

Once the clicking appear, it stay in low speed, or either in high speed, but it also disappear in low or high speed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:55 pm 

There are all sorts of solid-state gizmos on the market these days, what do you call ‘em? – i-nuts, phonepods? The point being, as I hear it, (I have an unsubtle Granddaughter and Christmas is a-comin’ . . .), that these things can be loaded with hours of what passes for music. If these gizmos are as cleaver as I am led to believe then I’m guessing that they can record for hours too, (which you might need because if this pesky noise is intermittent you can bet it’ll be kinda shy too!)

Which brings me to the point of this note. It would be very useful if we could actually hear this noise. So Hugo, if you cannot beg, borrow or steal one it’s time to tell Santa, strap it on the bike, switch on and hope! We have “The sound of a Rumi” lurking somewhere on this site and I know the more savvy can post pictures on here so surely posting a sound file is within the realms of possibility?

Regarding the tensioner material, when I said ‘rubber’ I meant it in the loosest sense – i.e. something black, flexible and non-metallic! In fact I think they are a synthetic ‘rubber’ skin bonded onto a spring steel armature.

If the time comes when you delve into the timing chest do not be alarmed if the tensioner shows evidence of grooves cut into it by the chain side plates, this is normal and stops once the chin rollers come into contact with the tensioner. This with the caveat that the last time I saw the inside of a CB125 (all but the same machine) was 40 years ago!

Have a look at: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb100-super-sport-k1-us_model408/partslist/ looks useful. To view the pictures I found it necessary to “view large image” as the thumbnails failed to appear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David,

I will try to record the audio, sometime ago I tried one day but the result I got was a terrible compressed audio file that was not really useful, I would need a better equipment to record it than my mobile phone.

It's much easier to hear the noise when the bike is running, with the bike in movement. I wonder if the wind will not distort the audio if I record it on this moment. Sometimes when I stop the noise is still there, but you can't feel as good as when the bike is on movement.

Tomorrow is going to start snowing here, so I don't know if I'm going to be able to record the audio soon.

I'll keep you update

Cheers

:)
OO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:48 pm 

Hugomez - I have used a socalled "rolling road" a number of times.
Might be a good idea for you - to find a friendly motorcycle workshop, in posession of such "indoor road".
Probably, you could record the noise, in a better way, standing at the side of the bike?
Or, - the mechanic present would have better means of "troubleshooting" for the source of the noise - with the bike running, say at 35-40 Mph in fourth gear.
Just an idea...
I usually pay Euro 38 for a "trip" on this indoor road.

Lasse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Last weekend the weather here was very pleasant and also I was looking forward to put the bike in the garage again to start using it.

I did, I put the battery on the bike (that by the way is working perfectly after charge it at home once every 3 weeks) and I took my first ride of the year. No surprise, the bike was running in the same way that was running the last day I stopped (of course), same performance and same famous tickling, buzzing noise that I guess you remember we talked about before. Then once I arrived home I decided to replace the gearbox oil because it has around 2500 km already, was time to do it.

This have been the first time I replace the oil with the engine hot, I heard long time ago that is good to do it with the engine hot because the oil is more liquid and is easier to get more quantity to go out of the crankcase, so I decided this time to do it with the engine hot.

My first impression was that a lot more oil came out of the engine that the other 4 times I replace it (I always use the same container to get the old oil out)

Later I measured the quantity and I could see that the quantity that I had in the crankcase was 1,5 liter (half a liter more that the quantity I put in the crankcase last time)

The manual says that crankcase must contain just 1 liter, I knew that always the engine keep some oil inside (more if the engine is cold), but I can't understand how is possible that inside were half a liter more that the quantity I put last time.

Every time I have replaced the oil I have checked the bar to measure whether it is in the right level, and I must say it was always in the maximum mark (inside the correct limit), but not more than this.

Because this time the oil was hot and I could see that a lot of it (1,5 liter) came out, I decided to put 1 liter again as always.

As always I checked the bar to see if the level was right and as always was ok, with the oil in the top of the right area.

Then I decided to take a ride and there is were I was very surprise, THE BLOODY NOISE almost disappeared. I hardly could hear it, and also I would say (and this can be effect of my imagination) that the bike was performance much better.

I only ride it around 10 km (was cold and later already) but I could feel very clear the reduction of the annoying noise.

Have this any sense for any of you????

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm 

This reminds me that a friend of mine had a problem with her Ford Fiesta. There was an ominous knocking sound every time she went round a left hand corner. Eventualy, being worried that it might be dangerous she took it to her local garage to have it mended. Later that day she went back to be informed that it had been fixed. "How much" she asked, expecting a hefty bill. "Nothing" was the reply. "We found a tin of baked beams under the seat"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Orac1000 wrote:
This reminds me that a friend of mine had a problem with her Ford Fiesta. There was an ominous knocking sound every time she went round a left hand corner. Eventualy, being worried that it might be dangerous she took it to her local garage to have it mended. Later that day she went back to be informed that it had been fixed. "How much" she asked, expecting a hefty bill. "Nothing" was the reply. "We found a tin of baked beams under the seat"

Hi John, funny story and a good surprise for your friend. :lol:

In my case, the sound is still there. I do not ride this bike much, three or four time every year, to get all components moving and to fill the fuel tank with new fresh fuel.

The sound is not constant, it comes and goes, but definitely is there. I have already a brand new cam chain, tensioner, valves and a few more parts that I will replace at that engine, but is a project that I do not know when I will do, not in a hurry at all. Maybe once I am changing those parts I find the source of that strange sound.

Greets ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:36 am 

Hugo it sounds like electrical tracking. Get the noise in a dark place and look around the coil and lead and cap, for a small spark jumping to earth. To check the noise if its spark tracking, just let the plug rest on the plug loose, start the bike and when running just lift the cap about 2mm of plug and you should hear the spark jumping to the plug. Is this the same sort of noise you hear, some times this also happens inside the cap when spark tracks down side of plug and you cannot see it. Renew spark plug. Hope this helps.
Regards, Arthur.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Arthur,

This for the suggestion, I will check it. (Not sure went but I will eventually, I will put it at the cue of things to do.)

Greets,
Hugo