Logo
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:03 pm 

I am trying to make a street legal exhaust system for my Junior, to replace the historically correct but impossibly loud expansion chambers on the bike. It has suddenly become an urgent matter, since I am trying to get a registration permit for the bike, and the registration authorities tell me I have to start the bike before they can accept it.

The silencers - without mounting brackets - are apparently available from Brezzi Samuele. The brackets must be welded on, and the silencers re-chromed.
But what about the pipes to those silencers? Does anyone know where I can find a pair to purchase, or do I have to have them custom made? Surely, that would be a time-consuming and expensive job, assuming I can find someone willing to do it.

The look I am aiming for with the finished exhaust system is like the one shown on the photo below. The pipe curves up slightly under the engine, not straight back as on the Super Sport.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Attachment:
Rumi_Junior_photo_from_Crippa_book_left_side_Exhaust_detail.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Lars,

Just one remark about the silencers from Brezzi. If you are looking at the 32mm type, at the photo seem that they do not have the bracket on it, however, if you click at the photo and see the others photos that they show, you can see that the exhaust actually bring a piece with thread on it, so you would just have to make another piece to attach to the frame of the bike. No need to weld nothing or re-chrome.

The second photo below is from a project of another member of the forum that bought a set of 32mm silencer there a few weeks ago, but mount them in a Bicarburatore, not in a Junior, so I do not know if the distance of that "nipple with thread" would work for your bike.

Sorry I have no information about the pipes.

I hope this help.

Greets,
Hugo

Attachment:
Silencer.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 pm 

Hi Hugo,

Ah, now I see. Brezzi must have added some photos recently. Now it does show a mounting stud.
That is very good news. Thank you for that information!

Best,
Lars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:16 am 

Hi Lars

I went for these mufflers from Brezzi with the strange side mounting to enable me to accommodate the rather obtrusive centre-stand of the Long Distance version of the Super Sport. The photos show the installation with the frame inverted!!
I doubt that this style of Silencer will suit your Junior. The other version that Brezzi sells would suit your requirement, but unfortunately the inlet is of a reduced diameter 28mm instead of 32mm which you require. Perhaps he can supply one with a 32mm as I expect many other customers would have had the 32mm requirement?
As for the Junior exhaust pipes, there must be an Italian supplier.

Ian

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Bicarburatore-project-01.jpg

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Bicarburatore-project-02.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 am 

Hi Lars

In the morning, I'll check out one of my silencers against my Junior Gentleman to see if it could be an option!!!?

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am 

Hi Ian

Helpful pictures and hints. Yes, the mounting stud looks a bit awkward. For the Junior, I envision a bracket that curves along the shape of the muffler and then goes straight up to the mounting tab on the frame. It remains to be seen whether that will be a practical solution, or if it will be better to just grind off the studs, have the correct brackets welded on and the mufflers re-chromed.

I am sending an e-mail to Brezzi, asking if I could have the 32 mm muffler with the welded bracket, similar to the 28 mm version. Also asking about exhaust pipes. We'll see if I get any response.

The stud-mounted setup looks OK on your Super Sport, though. Nice looking frame!

Lars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:44 pm 

Hi Lars

Checked out the Junior. I'm afraid that your conclusion, fitting a curved bracket, is the only solution to using the type of muffler that I have installed. Poor photo attached of the regular arrangement. Good luck my friend.

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 pm 

Thanks, Ian. Good to know what it is supposed to loo like! / Lars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm 

Some pleasant surprises today. Brezzi replied promptly to my emails. So here is at least one Italian supplier who answers e-mail questions, even when they are phrased in English. Bravo Brezzi!

They confirmed that:
- The price of 250 Euros is indeed for a pair, not each, as it would appear on their web site.

- They only have the welded stud version of the 32 mm silencer. Oh well, I will have to try to make them fit.

- To my question about exhaust pipes, they answered that they could supply "32 mm chrome pipes" for 150 Euros. No description, though. My guess is that they are single bend/straight pipes which will require modification to the radius in order to fit a Junior. I will find out when I receive them. Even so, a big help compared to fabricating from scratch.