Logo
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 4 Cylinder Rumi Project
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:36 pm 

This is a general layout of my 4 cylinder rumi project so far.

Attachments:
14.jpg
14.jpg [ 92.46 KiB | Viewed 2983 times ]
13.jpg
13.jpg [ 106.41 KiB | Viewed 2983 times ]
12.jpg
12.jpg [ 116.1 KiB | Viewed 2983 times ]
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 106.2 KiB | Viewed 2983 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

:o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
Woow!!, please keep us posted about it, very interesting project!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:18 pm 

This is the pattern for the new casting for the gear change side of the engine. Needs a little bit of finishing, showing the single crank that will be fitted in from the outside.
The new casting will hold the gear change and kick start as normal and the clutch.

Attachment:
1 3.jpg
1 3.jpg [ 62.74 KiB | Viewed 2787 times ]
Attachment:
1 2.jpg
1 2.jpg [ 70.45 KiB | Viewed 2787 times ]
Attachment:
1 1.jpg
1 1.jpg [ 72.25 KiB | Viewed 2787 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Interesting!!! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 am 

Astonishing, Arthur. What a wild, demanding project!
I can not say I understand the concept completely. It seems that you are trying to create an inline four-cylinder engine by adding a single cylinder on each side of the existing engine. Is that correct or am I totally misreading the concept?
The pattern for the new casting looks beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:10 pm 

hello lars,yes the cover will contain basically single 62cc engine ,same for other side,the sprocket and chain will be replaced with a timing pulley and belt drive to save with oil sealing problems,the clutch will be increased in length to take twice the number of plates,as you can see from pattern the gear change parts and kick start components will be used as in normal engine,try to keep engine as narrow as possible and fitting into frame as normal.i have made a jig around my junior gentleman frame to make a new frame to take engine,although will be fitting 2 plates from front mounting points on frame to rear engine mounting point of gearbox with 5 bolt holes each side to take sciattolo engine cases that i have used,will use ducati bronco forks as these are i think same as gentleman forks.single cranks will not be pressed into other crank as being slotted on from each side,instead ground slotted couplings that slide together will be used ,photo to come of this shortly.i have had casing welded now ready to remachine picture to follow,have also purchased some single brand new original dellorto float bowls,this will allow me to fit a pair of normal twin carbs to centre cylinders with the twin float bowl and single carb each side with single float bowl for each carb.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:25 pm 

Fascinating!
I was wondering how you planned to couple the cranks together. A slotted coupling with a sleeve makes sense, but joining cranks is never a trivial issue. I am sure you will work it out, though.

There are a lot of other things I do not understand (for example: Is that a transfer shaft below the engine to the relocated clutch?) but I'll hold my questions for later.

I am really cheering for you on this project and hoping you will succeed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 pm 

hello lars,yes the transfer shaftis the original catch and gear assembly there to keep the unit narrow,running belt on the drive side on one to one pulleys and then using the original clutch assembly with gear to drive the large input gear to gearbox,this allows every thing to drive at original ratios and in correct direction for gears and rear chain direction,this allows clutch to run behind 4th cylinder keeping width down,also allows me to make longer clutch assembly with twice as many plates fitted,a clutch control activated in centre of round section on new casting through centre hole with an assembly fitted on outside of casting,also on drive side off cross shaft hopefully will be able to fit small magneto to produce 12volt charging unit,ignition by electronic units.i would also like to call it a rumi donnino if it works with the silhouettes of donnino rumi engraved into the timing covers and on the tank,would have to ask oscar rumi on that point for his permission to name it,we will see when done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:46 pm 

Hi Arthur,
Yes, that is what it looked like to me. So the main power take-off from the crankshaft will be between cylinders no. 1 and 2. And the thicker clutch will be tucking in neatly behind cylinder 4 to keep the width down. Obviously, a lot of thought has gone into this design.
Thanks for the clarification!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 pm 

you have cracked my design lars,hopefully it will all work okay,my friends boundary back at work today after 2 week holiday break so hopefully casting will be cast in next two weeks,lots of work do in mean time making parts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 pm 

casting has now been made,now to machine,will get son to post picture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm 

Here are some photos of the castings ready for machining.

Attachments:
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 2.jpg [ 73.33 KiB | Viewed 2121 times ]
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 3.jpg [ 70.72 KiB | Viewed 2121 times ]
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 1.jpg [ 65.85 KiB | Viewed 2121 times ]