Logo
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

:D :D :D

I found the problem!!!
At least the problem for which I could not get spark at the right side cylinder. It was a very stupid reason. One of this pieces at the end of one cable attached to the rotor plate was attached in place, but the cable inside was disconnected. I've installed a new one, but this time with a drop of tin before compressing the blue plastic area.

Unfortunately I don't know when I will have time to test the scooter, busy time at work lately, but looking forward to test it.

More soon.

Attachments:
Electric.jpg
Electric.jpg [ 84.74 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is alive!!!!!!

I have been at work all day thinking of giving a try today, even if is not the most convenient moment for me, but I had a good feeling.

Well, after around 15 meters push, it started!!!!

I can not be more happy right now.

I did the test inside the community indoor parking at the ground floor, so not much space to ride properly, so I have only be able to engage until 2nd gear, but the overall feeling is good.

As soon as I can I will give a proper test ride around the building.

At the next link you can watch a short video of the moment :D
LINK to VIDEO: https://youtu.be/ZgO4t4Idtx4

(For some reason is not possible to embed Youtube videos in the forum anymore, I have to investigate why that is happening)

:D :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 pm 

Sounds good, looks good! No smoke. And everything seems to work.
Quite an accomplishment. Congratulations again, Hugo!
We are all happy for you, and with you!

Lars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 pm 

Great news to see it going :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Lars and Graham, it is a great relieve to finally listen it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:06 pm 

Congratulations Hugo!
A new rumi, is "beating" in the world !!!
Regards,

Juan Nizio
from Argentina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Rumi´s wrote:
Congratulations Hugo!
A new rumi, is "beating" in the world !!!
Regards,

Juan Nizio
from Argentina

Thank you Juan!!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:26 pm 

Congratulations Hugo! Beautiful Scooter!!!, you have done an excellent job, always you do.

I have a question, do you know why some Scoiatollos, have another silencers like mine?

Attachment:
20160903_152126.jpg
20160903_152126.jpg [ 87.4 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

Best regards!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Claudio,

Thanks you :)

About your question, the only thing I can say is that the exhaust that my Scoiattolo has before the restoration were exactly as the once you have in yours, with the tip curved.

If I remember correctly, I think I was told those were original.

Unfortunately they were in terrible state, so I could not restore them.

Maybe somebody else can confirm or correct me.

Greets ;)
Hugo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm 

Ok Hugo, surely our friend Rudolf will can clarify this …

Besides the silencers, was there any other difference?

Thank you in advance..

Claudio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hola Claudio,

Beside the exhaust the only other parts that I recall right now that are not original, are the rear shock absorber, but the once I bought are the correct length and wide. If you see photos of the process you can see that I had to modify them a little bit at the areas where attach to the body of the scooter and to the swing-arm, but they look great and perform also great.

The rear rack (that is still in the process to be chrome), is also not original, but I like it much more that the big original one that I had in the scooter when I purchased it.

The "leather" bags behind the leg shield were made from scratch by an artisan, so not original from factory, but they made a great job, using one of my original bags as template. They are just exactly the same, but completely brand new.

The screws. I have made all them black. Some of them are correct as black, but some others should not be black, however I like it very much, so that would be another different.

The carburetor and filter is not bare metal anymore, because I painted with silver (2K) paint to make them look as new as possible.

At the engine many new parts have been replace. Bearings, crankshaft, pistons, etc.

Brand new rims, brand new spokes, new seat upholstery in Italy, new CEV switch, new wiring, new CEV rear light, new front headlight CEV rim, new chain, new sprockets, and a long etc. Everything is documented here with photos since the beginning of the restoration. :D

Greets,
Hugo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:01 pm 

Great looking Scoiattolo, Hugo. Sounds the part as well. Spring time can't come soon enough!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 pm 

hugomez wrote:
Hola Claudio,

Beside the exhaust the only ....
Greets,
Hugo

Hi Hugo, sorry, maybe I was not clear. I was not talking about your motorcycle, which in fact is beautiful and totally original, maybe one of the most beautiful what i saw, I was talking about all the Scoiatollos, because, I've seen pictures with curved pipes and without them, with basg on the footrest and without them, etc. Therefore I ask, if it is different models depending on the country in which they were sold, or if they are simply accessories that were placed by their respective owners.

Regards;

Claudio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Montesa wrote:
Great looking Scoiattolo, Hugo. Sounds the part as well. Spring time can't come soon enough!

Thank you very much Adam!! You are totally right, summer just finished and already looking forward for next Spring season. :D

RF125 wrote:
Hi Hugo, sorry, maybe I was not clear. .......

:lol: Claudio, I definitely misunderstood your question.
Sorry, I do not have answers to those questions, hopefully other members of the forum with more knowledges can clarify them. I am also curious about it.

I've also a question to ask here. In the Formichino is easy to check the oil level with a "trick" that Eddie Jackson show me years ago, that consist in introducing a stick in certain angle throughout the filling hole at the top of the crankcase the first time you fill it with one litre of oil. Then you make a mark on that stick, and keep it to use anytime you want to measure the oil level.
I made one stick with the correct mark years ago, and I always use it. HOWEVER this "trick" doesn't work for the Scoiattolo, because the filling hole is on the side of the crankcase (Ignition side). How you do measure the oil level after sometime riding the scooter?

Looking at the Scoiattolo maintenance manual (in Italian) that we have at the download section, we can read the next:
"The check of the oil level in the engine is carried out by means of the special warning light (n.2) on the right side of the engine casing." (Translated by google translator)

For sure there is no warning light there, but neither a hole with a glass or anything like that. Am I right or perhaps I am missing something?

You can download that manual in the next link: https://www.formichino.com/forum/viewto ... f=23&t=314

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-check-oil-level-procedure.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-check-oil-level-procedure.jpg [ 114.2 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

Claudio, looking at that manual I noticed one detail, the tip of the exhaust that appear on those photos is not curved, as I had in my Scoiattolo when I got it, and as you have in yours. I do not think this is a strong reason to think that from factory was not coming with the curved tip, because they could just change that detail after the manual was done, but just mentioning because I just saw it and took my attention.

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-exhaust-detail-from-manual.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-exhaust-detail-from-manual.jpg [ 117.55 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 pm 

Hugo, The oil level is measured as in all Rumi engines in the hole in the right side cover. In the manual, where it says "sul lato destro" means "on the right side", for that reason it is drawn with dotted lines. I hope have clarified your doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

RF125 wrote:
Hugo, The oil level is measured as in all Rumi engines in the hole in the right side cover. In the manual, where it says "sul lato destro" means "on the right side", for that reason it is drawn with dotted lines. I hope have clarified your doubt.

:lol: Now I see it. It was confusing to see that the drawing show the left side, but I didn't pay attention to the actual text that say "the right side", so the opposite as the one at the drawing.
The truth is that I never check the oil by the hole at the right side, I always do it with the "homemade stick" as explained earlier.
I see that in the Scoiattolo I will have to use the "official way" that as mentioned, I never did that way.

Thanks Claudio for clarifying it ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:50 pm 

hugomez wrote:

Claudio, looking at that manual I noticed one detail, the tip of the exhaust that appear on those photos is not curved, as I had in my Scoiattolo when I got it, and as you have in yours. I do not think this is a strong reason to think that from factory was not coming with the curved tip, because they could just change that detail after the manual was done, but just mentioning because I just saw it and took my attention.

Attachment:
The attachment Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-exhaust-detail-from-manual.jpg is no longer available

For this reason, i asked about the differences in different pictures that i saw ... and i have another difference, the mutes of my silencers are also different, as in the picture...

Attachment:
20160508_194346.jpg
20160508_194346.jpg [ 69.4 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

That is curious. Let see what others say about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 am 

regarding the silencers, my early "3 gear / non rear damper type" scoiatollo still has its original silencers with the manufacturers "spring" stamp on them - the exhaust outlet pipes are straight. my other 3 scoiatollo are the later "4 gear / with rear damper type" 2 have straight exhaust outlet pipes and the other one has the bent type exhaust outlet pipes, the one with the bent pipes has the biggest/newest chassis number, of course exhausts could have been replaced on any of these machines during their lives, but I am confident that the ones on the early 3 gear machine are original for this particular machine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Graham,

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Scoiattolos. It is possible that all of them are original?, I understand that the once with the "spring"stamp on it are for sure original, but at the same time, is possible that the factory change the type of exhaust while they also change other things at the scooter in newer versions of it.

I can not confirm it, but I looking at the state of the scooter when I bought it, and looking at the exhaust, I would say those are the once I have been always in the scooter. As mentioned, I can not confirm that (maybe somebody else can), but I would say that maybe in latest model they started to add the exhaust with the curved tip.

Let see if somebody have more information about this subject.

Greets,
Hugo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 pm 

hugo , yes the only machines I had with "spring" silencers where from 1952 or before. I also have later rumi,s with what I believe to be original silencers without the "spring" emblem. it is normal for manufacturers to change supplier during production, with rumi,s we see electrical parts from dansi /nassetti / ducati for instance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:33 pm 

I didn't know that originals rumi silencers had the "spring" stamp, i did know, as rumi original silencer, those whos have the "APP IGM" stamp.
I bought a few years ago, a replica in italy with de "Spring" stamp, and my Junior, and my scoiatollo have its originals silencers with the "APP IGM" stamp.

Attachment:
IMG-20161028-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20161028-WA0011.jpg [ 21.24 KiB | Viewed 85 times ]

Attachment:
IMG-20141216-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20141216-WA0002.jpg [ 13.7 KiB | Viewed 85 times ]

Greets

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am 

Graham wrote correctly that the curved end pieces were only from 1955 mounted on the Scoiattolo. An explanation to protect the tire from heat and oil ??
The term "IGM" is the register for vehicle parts in Italy, and it is also true that RUMI has purchased the silencers from various manufacturers.
Even 60 years later, there are still many question marks at RUMI.
Greet Rudolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:23 pm 

Thanks Rudolf! Now it's clarified. Then the curved pipes was for the 1955 model. The other question is, all the models came with footrest bags?? or only the 1955 model?

I know the app igm was the register for the vehicles parts, and we can found this in the front light ring too, to quote some more.

Now, i did learn s that Rumi mufflers could be "Spring" too.. and this explain to me, why the silencer i bought in italy have this stamp.

Thanks to all...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm 

Hi Claudio,
the bags, and also the carrier for the luggage, were accessories that were not equipped by the factory in Bergamo, I know about 4 different models, also that of Hugo is an accessory.
regards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:27 pm 

Thanks Rudolf! It is not my intention to contradict you, you are the bible of the Rumis for me, but I see vintage catalogs, and I notice that in the first models with the thin front fork, it was not equipped with the bags, but the latest models, with the other front fork type, it was equipped with the bags. :?: :?:

Attachment:
La Produzione 1953 (3).jpg
La Produzione 1953 (3).jpg [ 34.84 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]

Attachment:
Moto Rumi Formichino (3).jpg
Moto Rumi Formichino (3).jpg [ 32.9 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]

Attachment:
Rumi Formichino (5).jpg
Rumi Formichino (5).jpg [ 25.26 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]

Claudio

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9