Logo
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

The scooter is resting on the wheels for the first time since it was dismantled.

Exciting to see the scooter in this position.

:D

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-restoration-first-on-the-wheels-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-restoration-first-on-the-wheels-01.jpg [ 92.82 KiB | Viewed 908 times ]

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-restoration-first-on-the-wheels-02.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-restoration-first-on-the-wheels-02.jpg [ 53.72 KiB | Viewed 908 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:54 am 

You sure its the same machine? :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:26 pm 

Hugo,
very nicely done, when the drive chain is mounted, then it's time to mount the gearbox cover (4-speed method)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Orac1000 wrote:
You sure its the same machine? :-)

Thanks John, yes it is. :D

RUMISTI wrote:
Hugo,
very nicely done, when the drive chain is mounted, then it's time to mount the gearbox cover (4-speed method)

Thanks Rudolf.

I have been working on the electric system. First I tested the CEV switch and lights/horn using a battery. Now everything is on the scooter, including all the cables at the coils and also at the ignition side, so all electrics are done.

Also replaced the bezel at the VDO speedometer, adding a brand new one.

Attachment:
CEV-switch-wire-connections-moto-rumi-scoiattolo-01.jpg
CEV-switch-wire-connections-moto-rumi-scoiattolo-01.jpg [ 81.88 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]

Attachment:
CEV-switch-wire-connections-moto-rumi-scoiattolo-02.jpg
CEV-switch-wire-connections-moto-rumi-scoiattolo-02.jpg [ 49.26 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]

Attachment:
Headlight-installed-Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo.jpg
Headlight-installed-Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo.jpg [ 56.5 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]

Attachment:
New-bezel-VDO-speedometer-Moto-Rumi-01.jpg
New-bezel-VDO-speedometer-Moto-Rumi-01.jpg [ 71.58 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]

Attachment:
New-bezel-VDO-speedometer-Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo.jpg
New-bezel-VDO-speedometer-Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo.jpg [ 48 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Some time ago I heard that the center stand of the Scoiattolo, always end scratching badly the paint at the bottom of the scooter body.

This is something that worries me, so I have been thinking what would be the best way to protect the paint at the body in that area.
I thought that a good way would be to add a flexible, one side adhesive, transparent plastic/rubber thin layer, so the center stand rest on it instead directly on the paint.

I searched in Google, but no success.

Do you know where I can find something like that?, if not, do you have any other idea to avoid the paint to get broken/scratched at that area?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Center-stand-detail.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Center-stand-detail.jpg [ 42.41 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm 

hugo,as the bar the two legs fit on squares with nuts hold them on,get a longer bar made to bring legs away from body,lengthen by the required amount each side.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Arthur for the suggestion ;)

I am now mounting the levers at the clutch side crankcase cover, but looking at the diagram, I see one washer (338 56) that I do not remember when I dismantled it. As you can see that is not the outside seal (316 51), that is different.

Can anybody tell me what is it (washer/O ring/seal/etc) and where exactly it goes?

Thanks in advance ;)

Attachment:
Washer-Moto-Rumi-Engine.jpg
Washer-Moto-Rumi-Engine.jpg [ 86.84 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 pm 

Hello Hugo,
before you have thought too much about the stand, first mount the exhaust system, the position will still change.
and yes there is a disc in front of the gasket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Thank you Rudolf, I will check with the exhaust system to see how all rest there.

About the washers, sometimes I have a clear idea in my mind about how things must be assembled, then I look at the diagram and get confused. If you confirm these two are (316 51 - Left) and (338 56 - Right), then is the way I was going to assemble before looking at the diagram. Are those correct?

Attachment:
Washers-Moto-Rumi-engine.jpg
Washers-Moto-Rumi-engine.jpg [ 78.66 KiB | Viewed 810 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:20 am 

Yes Hugo, you are correct. The Technical Illustrator just put them the wrong side of the side cover on his drawing!!

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Ian Skinner wrote:
Yes Hugo, you are correct. The Technical Illustrator just put them the wrong side of the side cover on his drawing!!

Ian

Thank you Ian, now everything is clear ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

As you can see the project is close to be finished, however there are still a few important things to get done. So, it is still in progress :)

Drive chain:
The correct drive chain for these sprockets is on the way, purchased in England. Once arrived I will have to cut the links that are not needed and install it.

The exhaust system:
Finding the pipes have been terribly difficult, however in some point Rudolf decided to make some of them, so he is going to sell me a set of two (Thanks Rudolf for that).
Several months ago I bought a brand new pair of exhaust without the "Mounting tabs". The idea is to remove the mounting tabs from the old exhaust, welding it to the new once.
As soon I receive the pipes, I will measure all to be sure that the mounting tabs are welded in the correct position, then send it all to get chromed.

The rear rack:
This is another part that I need to send to chrome.

Leather bags for the leg shield:
When I purchased the scooter, it was coming with the original leader bags (obviously in rough condition). Now in the process to find somebody to do this job, using as a pattern the old bags for both sides. (Any suggestion of a good professional is more than welcome)

Beside that, I have in mind a few more small things here and there to improve parts that were already done, but I am not 100% happy with it.

It is going to take some time until I get the exhaust system completely ready and assembled, as well as the rest of the things mentioned above. Once the complete bike is 100% finished, I will take nicer photos, including close up of small details, but until them, here the "almost finished" Scoiattolo.

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-01.jpg [ 76.28 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-02.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-02.jpg [ 59.62 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-03.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-03.jpg [ 59.58 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-04.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Rack-chain-and-exhaust-system-pending-04.jpg [ 70.23 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:07 am 

Just looking at the pre-restoration photos of your machine. Was the outer part of the front mudguard originally chromed?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Orac1000 wrote:
Just looking at the pre-restoration photos of your machine. Was the outer part of the front mudguard originally chromed?

Hi John,

No, it was never chromed.
What you see at the pre-restoration photos is the mudguard without paint. Some welding was done on it, and some rust removed, so whoever work on that fender before me, left part on bare metal, but originally is was painted as the rest of the scooter.

Talking about the mudguard, I made a modification in mine. So now mine is not as the rest of the others Scoiattolo.
If you pay close attention to any front fender of other Scoiattolo, you will notice that there is a groove at each side from back to front, at the area where it curves. In mine that grooves are gone, I covered it while I was preparing all the parts for painting. The reason is that the grooves were not perfect all the way, because of the welding made on it.
I could probably make the grooves again, but at that time I saw it too complicated, thinking that would not look good, so I took the easy way, that was covering them. It doesn't look bad, but I have to confess that bothers me a little bit not to have it as it should be originally.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:46 am 

I did notice it was different. Now you have explained I can see what has been done. Better to fill the groove and it look good than to leave it and you be disappointed with the final result.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:09 am 

Hugo,
very nice and perfect, maybe we'll find a better fender once. if you have some paint in reserve.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

RUMISTI wrote:
Hugo,
very nice and perfect, maybe we'll find a better fender once. if you have some paint in reserve.

Thank you Rudolf!!! :D

At this point, with almost everything finished and assembled, I think I will leave the fender as it is now.
It is true that I am not 100% happy with this detail at the fender, but I have very little paint remain. Also, after all the work put on that fender, I have no more energy at this point to replace it.
Anyway, the fender looks great, only that the grooves should be there.

Thanks anyway for the offer of helping me to find another one. At the moment is not needed. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Rudolf for selling me the pipes for the exhaust system of the Scoiattolo.

I have measured the exhaust with it, and I will cut 11 cms of the pipes (from back to from).

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-exhaust-pipes.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-exhaust-pipes.jpg [ 62.69 KiB | Viewed 440 times ]

As you can see these exhaust do not have tap/holder to attach it to the Scooter body. To solve that I chop the once that were at the old exhaust. Still pending to weld them at the right position, before I send them to chrome.

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-exhaust.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-exhaust.jpg [ 56.06 KiB | Viewed 440 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Today I went to pick up the leg shield bags that I ordered for the Scoiattolo. For the artisan to be able to fabricate the bags correctly, a few weeks ago I provided them with one of the two original green bags, to use as template.

This is the green bag they used.

Attachment:
Original-Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-bag-for-leg-shield.jpg
Original-Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-bag-for-leg-shield.jpg [ 50.1 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]

And here some photos of the process, and the final result at the end.

Very soon I will put them on the scooter.

Extremely happy with this nice set of black bags. :D

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-legshield-bags-fabrication-01.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-legshield-bags-fabrication-01.jpg [ 225.54 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Finished.
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-legshield-bags-fabrication-02.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-legshield-bags-fabrication-02.jpg [ 68.23 KiB | Viewed 271 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Attachment:
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Leg-shield-bags.jpg
Moto-Rumi-Scoiattolo-Leg-shield-bags.jpg [ 101.05 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:52 pm 

Congrats for this fantastic restauration Hugo. Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 am 

looking great hugo - a top quality and thorough restoration, i am sure you will enjoy putting some miles on it, in my opinion the best rumi product to ride.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:58 pm 

Hugo, very nice, and enough space for eating, a big trip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you René, Graham and Rudolf.

Still not finished but really close.

I wonder if I will be able to take the scooter out of that room. The space is tiny. The Formichino can go out without much difficulty, but maybe this one doesn't fit. :lol: Anyway, if that happen, I will just start removing parts of the bike until allows me to pass through.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 am 

Well done Hugo.Very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you formic!!! :D

I was waiting until the scooter was completely finished, but I don't want to wait anymore even if it is not completely finished yet, to specially thanks one person that usually help me a lot when I need it, and in this specific project, his help has been over the top.
Rudolf Schenker (and Teresa), invited me to stay in their house one full week, where we worked daily on the restoration. I left their house with a fantastic base to continue the restoration by myself. Their hospitality during that full week was just incredible, so I will always be grateful for that to them.
After that, Rudolf continue helping me answering questions, finding parts for the scooter, and been there when I need it.
So, thank you Rudolf for the effort you have put, helping me with this project.

I also want to thanks other members of the forum that in certain moments clarified my doubts either openly in the forum or by email or phone call.

Thanks Ian, Lars, Claudio, Graham, Arthur, John, Eddie, and others that in one way or another helped me when I needed.

You guys are the best, without you I would have not been able to do this restoration (or any other).

Thanks,
Hugo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next